We're a financial services company leveraging cutting-edge technology to provide fintech and financial solutions to the underserved Southeast Asia market. Our team is a diverse and carefully selected group of finance and tech professionals worldwide.
With the successful launch of our first product. Our top-tier international talent, based in Bangkok, continues to innovate and drive forward in our fast-paced and quality-driven environment.
Our journey is marked by continuous learning, growth, and a passion for our work. We remain committed to breaking new ground, adapting, and thriving amidst the challenges and opportunities that lie ahead.
We’re in the process of building out the Data Engineering team/discipline at Honest, and we’re looking for a strong technical leader who can own the long-term technology strategy in this area.
About working with us
- This position is based in our Bangkok office.
- We prefer to collaborate in person and don’t offer remote work.
- As an international team, English language proficiency is required.
About the team
The Honest Engineering Team is a high-velocity, high-quality team that deploys to production multiple times a day across application and infrastructure stacks. We leverage open-source tooling and cloud platforms with GitOps and Infrastructure-as-Code paradigms to increase delivery velocity and stability. We’re still learning and growing in many ways, and we're looking for exceptional engineering talent to help us improve. Join us.
The Data Engineering team at Honest is responsible for enabling itself and other teams to build data products. What does this mean?
You will be:
- Providing a platform that allows the creation of data products by other teams/squads.
- Building and owning certain cross-cutting/company-wide data initiatives, such as regulatory/compliance-mandated reporting and company business metrics.
As an Engineering Manager, you are expected to live and breathe the high technical standards we strive to maintain here at Honest — in and out of the specific Data Engineering discipline you lead (our Engineering Managers are leaders and doers first and foremost).
- Build and manage the Data Engineering team/discipline by owning the recruiting process (working with the People team), onboarding, documentation, guides/processes, best practice implementation, and anything else that’s needed to build a high-functioning Data Engineering discipline.
- Design organizational/strategic frameworks around data production, governance, manipulation, usage, and security by leveraging your experience in building data organizations.
- Provide technical guidance and leadership to the engineering organization with a focus on data engineering. However, we have multiple interdisciplinary squads consisting of frontend (Android) and backend (Golang, Python) engineers, and the breadth of your impact will be up to you.
- Lead and own longer-term architectural decisions such as core platform choice, programming language(s), application, and data infrastructure patterns/paradigms.
- Lead the implementation of code/functionality from the design document stage to implementation/code review/testing — at this nascent stage of the data squad, an ability to participate hands-on is extremely beneficial.
- 0–50% daily hands-on coding — this depends on you and what you feel the team needs at any given point in time.
- Design, implement, and optimize CI/CD pipelines and automated testing methodologies (unit, integration, end-to-end) to enable high-velocity + high-quality deliveries.
- Collaborate with other teams to build a delightful user experience.
You should be, or have, these
- Deep experience building and managing a high-velocity data organization from a strategic/high-level (governance, security) down to the hands-on infrastructure/application implementation level.
- Experience in common/current data paradigms — batch and stream processing, real-time architectures to enable downstream use-cases such as alerting, reporting, MLOps.
- Experience building and maintaining production data infrastructure and MLOps pipelines.
- Strong, broad, and in relevant areas, deep familiarity with application and infrastructure platforms — we Golang (Backend), Kotlin (Android), Python (Data), and Terraform (all infrastructure).
- Experience shipping high-user-count/scalable apps or platforms.
- Strong grasp of software design patterns and infrastructure patterns, where relevant.
- Experience building and maintaining testable codebases, including API design, testing techniques, and CI/CD best practices as they relate to data and data infrastructure.
- Passionate about scalable/distributed architectures and patterns.
- We’re all owners; everyone at Honest gets an ESOP (employee stock option plan).
- Provident Fund.
- Training Course and Book Subsidies.
- You’ll be working with the smartest people in the industry.
- A modern office right in the heart of Bangkok.
- Top-of-the-line medical healthcare plan.
- Monthly Wellness Allowance.
- One of the best-funded start-ups in South East Asia with Silicon Valley investors.
- We don’t believe in titles or hierarchy, but value contributions & celebrate achievements as a team.
At Honest, we’re working hard to build the future of finance in Asia. To do so, we prioritize attracting the best talent worldwide to join us, regardless of their background and heritage.
At Honest, we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, national origin, gender, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or parental status, disability, or other class protected by applicable law. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
If you want to be part of changing how people access finance in Asia, come join us and help us build a global company where we’re all proud to belong.